ICD-10 Training Courses
Ashworth College's online ICD-10 training program will help you learn the vital information you'll need to transition from the ICD-9 to the ICD-10 coding system as required by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). You'll be able to help healthcare organizations ensure compliance with the government-mandated transition for everyone covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career Certificate ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Lesson Group 2: Medical and Body Systems TerminologyMedical Terminology
Fundamentals and origins of medical terms; analyzing, defining, and creating medical terms; identifying major body structures and directional terms.
Anatomy, physiology, and basic terminology related to the integumentary, musculoskeletal, digestive, cardiovascular, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, and nervous systems.
Anatomy, physiology, and basic terminology related to the urinary and reproductive systems; gynecology, obstetrics, and neonatology terms and conditions; anatomy of the eyes and ears.
An overview of the terminology related to major chronic and infectious diseases as well as surgical treatments for those diseases.
Lesson Group 3: Medical CodingICD-9-CM Coding
History of coding; purpose of ICD-9-CM; abbreviations, symbols, typefaces, punctuation, and formatting conventions; correct code assignment; nine steps of accurate coding.
Similarities and differences between ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes; differences between a crosswalk and mapping; general ICD-10 diagnostic coding guidelines; new features in ICD-10-PCS.
Guidelines for procedural coding within the hospital setting; comparison to ICD-9-CM Volume 3; an explanation of the analysis, assignment, and sequencing of ICD-10-PCS codes.
Why Choose Ashworth College career school for your ICD-10 Transition Training Online?
- Ashworth College's online ICD-10 training program is one of the most affordable and convenient programs offered on coding compliance.
- Your ICD-10 program fully details both the ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding systems and provides instruction on how to convert codes between the two systems—ensuring the most accurate code assignment possible as healthcare organizations nationwide implement new ICD-10 code assignment procedures.
- You'll receive a comprehensive insurance billing and coding textbook that details the essentials of ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding, as well as two current ICD-10 coding manuals—the very same code books used in healthcare organizations around the country.
- Your ICD-10 training class includes virtual field trips using Internet resources to reinforce advanced concepts, provide multimedia presentations, and to help develop your skills for research and professional growth.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our ICD-10 Training Course
As part of Ashworth College's ICD-10 Transition training online, you'll learn how to accurately code medical diagnoses and procedures using the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS code books to ensure compliance with government requirements.
Employers are looking for qualified medical coders who can:
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into computer systems
- Identify, compile, abstract, and code patient data, using standard classification systems
- Consult classification manuals to locate information about disease processes
- Resolve or clarify codes or diagnoses with conflicting, missing, or unclear information by consulting with doctors or others or by participating in the coding team's regular meetings
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"Dreams really do come true! Thanks for helping me reach them Ashworth!"
– Samantha Currier, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
Your ICD-10 Training Course Includes:
- Comprehensive medical billing and coding textbook and online learning guides
- Up-to-date ICD-10 coding books
- Online exams and assessments
- Access to Academic Advisors
- Access to a Learning Resource Center and Library via Proquest
- Ability to track academic progress and manage account information via the student portal
- Personalized Career Guidance
- Ability to interact with peer students, faculty, and staff via Ashworth's Online Community
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College ICD-10 training course compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the program you choose covers all of the material necessary to enable you to assign the most accurate diagnosis and procedure codes according to government regulations. Look for an ICD-10 program that has lesson content that's focused on medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, terminology for disease processes and procedures, and both ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding procedures. A well-rounded program details code conversion between the ICD-9 and ICD-10 systems, explains the need for ICD-10 coding, and discusses the new features found in the ICD-10-PCS volume.
Is this ICD-10 course all online or do I get books?
The ICD-10 Transition program includes a physical textbook and code books that are shipped to the student at the start of the Lesson Group 3. Learning guides are available online and as printed booklets.