Last Updated: 3/21/2019
If you are under the age of 18, you have certain additional rights with respect to the removal of Content which you may provide to the Sites. These rights are set forth in the Children’s Privacy section below.
Collection of information
We collect information from you when you disclose it to us during our interactions with you. We also automatically collect certain information when you visit the Sites. We may also collect information about you from third party sources. The types of information we collect include the following:
- Information You Provide Us: this is information that you may provide us to register, enroll or participate in our programs, whether through the mail, in-person or through the Sites including personal details (e.g., name, age, gender, marital status, ethnicity, primary language, number of children in household, age of children, household income before taxes, housing type, transportation, hobbies, and employment), contact details (e.g., phone number, email address, postal address), and account details (e.g., username and password);
- Information we collect about your use of the Sites: this is information commonly collected by many websites to track website usage and may include, for example, computer and server IP addresses, browser versions, pages most visited, duration and time of visit, and geographic location, as well as standard fields from our web log reporting software to include: date, time, client IP address, user name, service name and instance number, server name, server IP address, server port method, URI stem, URI query, HTTP status, Win32 status, bytes sent, bytes received, time taken, protocol version, host, user agent, cookie, referrer, and protocol sub-status (see “How We Collect and Use Information About Your Use of the Sites” below for more details);
- Personal Financial Information: this is information, such as credit card or debit card information, or other financial account information that you provide if you are enrolling in an Ashworth College educational program or if you are purchasing any other Ashworth College products or services; and
- Student Records: Ashworth College generates, collects and stores additional information and materials personal to or provided by students enrolled in Ashworth College programs, such as course assignment work, exams, academic records, confidential enrollment information, and students’ personal, program-related communications with Ashworth College. Note that we may be required by law to collect certain information about you or as a consequence of any contractual relationship we have with you. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
- Information from Third Parties: We may also collect Personal Information about you from third parties to perform certain functions such as collections activities or to customize our marketing efforts.
Personal Information in Publically Accessible Areas of Sites. Some interactive portions of the Sites may be open and visible to the larger public and/or people and entities engaged in providing or supporting Ashworth College academic programs. If you include information about yourself in materials you contribute to the Sites, via postings, chat rooms, or otherwise, that information will be available to members of the larger public. We therefore strongly encourage you not to include personally identifying information in your interactions in public forums made available through the Sites, such as in postings or in chat rooms.
How We Collect Your Information. We collect information about you that you voluntarily provide to us. For example, when you register as a User on the Sites in order to participate in the Sites activities, we ask you for personally identifying information such as your name, email address, and telephone number. We may also collect this information if you contact us requesting information, participate in or provide feedback on the Sites or Site activities, or forward information from the Sites to internet addresses outside of the Sites. In addition, if you are a student, we collect and store your Student Records consistent with our business practices, requirements of our educational accrediting, certifying and licensing institutions, and applicable United States and state laws and regulations.
How We Collect and Use Information About Your Use of the Sites. We use common tracking tools such as cookies, clear GIFs (also referred to as web beacons or pixel tags), device identifiers or IP addresses to collect information about your use of the Sites. These tools, described in more detail below, are associated with standard internet protocols and are commonly implemented on web sites. The information collected through these tools is primarily used for aggregate, statistical reporting and stored in log files. Log files are transaction records that web servers maintain and record information, such as: service provider IP addresses, browser versions, referring websites, search terms used, average number of pages requested, average duration of visit, and/or total visitor traffic.
- Cookies are small files web sites place on your hard drive that allow sites to identify you. For example, if you allow a site to remember your login name or password, the site places a cookie on your computer. Cookies cannot read any other information on your hard drive. If you do not wish to receive cookies, or want to be notified of when they are placed, your browser may permit you to do so.
- GIFs can tell us whether you have visited a Web page or received or opened a message we send to you.
- An IP address is a number that's automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider whenever you're on the Internet. In addition to logging your IP Address, our server may also record the referring page that linked you to us (e.g., another web site or a search engine); the pages you visit and how long you stay on the Sites; and other Web usage activity and data.
The information we collect about your use of the Sites may be used to measure the Sites’ traffic, help us to evaluate and improve the Sites, provide data points for marketing and business analysis, and better serve our Users. It is in our legitimate interests to evaluate and improve the Sites so that we may better serve our Users. We may share this information with third parties, but only in an aggregate statistical form that includes no personally identifying information. If we combine information about your use of the Sites with personally identifiable information, through data mapping or otherwise, the combined information will be treated as personally identifiable information.
How We Collect and Use Personal Financial Information. We collect Personal Financial Information you provide when you are applying for or enrolling in an Ashworth College academic program, purchasing products or services from Ashworth College, or involved in other financial transactions with Ashworth College, and we use this information in connection with your application, enrollment, purchases and other financial transactions. We collect this information so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you or interact with you in furtherance of initiating a contractual arrangement (e.g., if you are applying to enroll) and so that we can comply with our legal obligations. Personal Financial Information is retained by Ashworth College as required by law and for its internal business practices. If you are not currently enrolled in an Ashworth College program and have no outstanding, pending, or contractual financial obligation to Ashworth College, you may ask that we delete your financial information and we will do so subject to legal, regulatory, licensing and accreditation obligations.
Use of information
We use your information in multiple ways:
- To deliver products and perform services you purchase. This is so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you or engage in pre-contractual measures (e.g., if you apply to enroll in one of our programs).
- To respond to your requests for information. It is in our legitimate interests to respond to your requests for information.
- To contact you regarding products and services in which we believe you may be interested. It is in our legitimate interest to provide relevant and interesting advertising messages. Where necessary based on U.S. legal requirements, we will obtain your consent before sending such marketing messages.
- To notify you about community events and activities. It is in our legitimate interests to notify you about events and activities that may be of interest to you.
- To ask you questions about your interests and your experience on the Sites. It is in our legitimate interests to learn more about your experience with the Sites.
- To perform proactive outreach to encourage and engage you in your studies.
- To offer savings opportunities and/or promotional items only available to Ashworth College students.
Additionally, if you are an Ashworth College student, we may also use your information including Students Records to:
- Support and monitor your progress through the academic program in which you are enrolled. We do this so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you.
- Offer you various student support services. It is in our legitimate interests to offer support to our students.
- Ask you questions regarding your satisfaction with the program. It is in our legitimate interests to learn more about your experience with the program.
- Maintain your academic records. We do this so we can comply with our contractual obligations to you.
- Complying with our obligations. We process your information to, for example, carry out fraud prevention checks or comply with other legal or regulatory requirements, where required by law or where in our legitimate interests to do so.
- Maintain close communications with you in order to provide you with a rich, fulfilling and personalized academic experience. It is in our legitimate interests to communicate with our students and provide a personalized learning experience.
We share your information in the following ways:
When We Share Personal Information for Regulatory and Legal Purposes: Ashworth College adheres to state and federal laws and regulations, as well as accreditation requirements. Therefore, your information may be shared with regulatory and/or accrediting agencies.
When we Share Personal Information with Licensing, Certifying and Accrediting Organizations: Ashworth College schools are nationally and regionally accredited and are also licensed by certain states. From time to time Ashworth College will seek additional certifications, accreditations and similar confirmations of quality and eligibility from third party institutions as part of the schools’ mission. Ashworth College may share Personal Information with each of these accrediting, certifying and licensing bodies as reasonably required to maintain, renew or establish Ashworth College’s accreditation, licenses, certifications and other institutional qualifications. All such bodies are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of student Personal Information.
When We Share Personal Information With Business Partners: Ashworth College works collaboratively with organizations to assist with certification, licensure, support for employment, and additional educational support. Personal information may be shared with a partnering organization.
Ashworth College often collaborates with school districts, individual schools, colleges and universities, vocational schools, organizations like the Job Corps, and other private educational or education-related programs (each an “Educational Partner”) to provide a broad range of educational programs responsive to different types of students’ requirements. We may share your information, student records and personal financial information of students enrolled in these collaborative or partnership education programs with the associated Educational Partner.
When We Share Personal Information with Third Parties Who May Offer Products or Services that May be of Interest to You: We may provide your information (exclusive of Student Records) to third parties who offer products or services we believe may be of value to you; such third parties are only allowed to use your information to contact you regarding those products or services and you are able to “opt out” from receiving such contacts at any time through the “opt out” procedures of those third parties.
When We Share Your Information with Contractors and Service Providers: We may use third parties (including contractors, business partners and service providers) to help us with certain aspects of our operations and this may require disclosure of your information to them. For example, we use third party financial institutions to help us process payments and we may use third party agencies to help us with debt collection. We may also use third parties to help us to operate the Sites, deliver products and provide student services. We expect these third parties to use your Personal Information only as necessary to perform the services they are asked to perform.
When We Disclose Your Information in Litigation, Investigations or Enforcement Actions or for Security Reasons: We may disclose your information when compelled or requested to do so by government or law enforcement authorities or when otherwise required or permitted by law, such as to respond to court orders and subpoenas or regulatory agency requests. We also may disclose your information when we have reason to believe that someone is causing or threatening to cause injury to, or interfering or threatening to interfere with, the rights or property interests of Ashworth College or its affiliates (or their respective employees, agents, consultants, contractors or representatives), Ashworth College students or alumni, other Site Users, Ashworth College business partners (including Education Partners and service providers), accrediting/licensing/certifying bodies, or other persons or entities that could be harmed by such activities.
When We Disclose Your Information in Conjunction with a Change in Control or Similar Event: If Ashworth College undergoes or contemplates undergoing a business transition, such as a merger or acquisition by another company, or a sale of all or a substantial portion of its assets, your information may be among the assets transferred or subject to new ownership. Changes in the terms governing the collection, storage or use of any third party successor in interest or transferee of your Personal Information will be communicated to you by Ashworth College or such third party via email, the applicable website, or a comparable means notification.
Ashworth College may provide financial outstanding balances to a collection agency. For more information, please see the Catalog for the Collections Policy. The collection agency will work with students to resolve any outstanding balance. Collection agencies may report outstanding balances to one or more credit bureaus.
The Sites do not knowingly collect information from (a) children under the age of 13 and does not offer products, services or activities targeted at children under the age of 13, or (b) individuals older than 13 but under the age of legal majority in their state of residence whose registration or participation on the Sites has not been authorized by their parent or legal guardian.
Maintaining information that is current, accurate, and complete allows us to make our website more useful and to provide our students and prospective students with better service. To that end, we encourage you to update your information from time to time. To review the information that we have concerning you and your use of this website, please contact us at the address or phone number set forth above.
We retain your information for as long as we have a relationship with you. When deciding how long to keep this information after our relationship with you has ended, we take into account our legal obligations. We also retain records to investigate or defend against potential legal claims. If there is any information that we are unable to delete entirely from our systems for technical reasons, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
We use industry-standard security measures to protect any personal information you may provide to us. However, we cannot guarantee that your submissions to our website, any content residing on our servers, or any transmissions from our server will be completely secure. You are responsible for keeping your login information secret and confidential and for notifying us if you believe that your student login information has been stolen or might otherwise be misused. We cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the Internet, will not be destroyed, hacked, hijacked, misdirected, stolen, modified or otherwise interfered with or misused. Accordingly, your transmission of information to or through the Sites is at your own risk.
Third party "linked-to" web sites
International data processing
EU Residents. Under applicable local law, EU residents may have certain rights regarding the personal information we hold about them. These may include the rights to access, correct, delete, restrict or object to our use of, or receive a portable copy in a usable electronic format of your information. You also may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection or privacy regulator. We encourage you to contact us at the contact information set forth below to update or correct your information if it changes or if the information we hold about you is inaccurate. Where you have provided your consent to any use of your information, and where applicable under governing law, you can withdraw this consent at any time. Please note that we may require additional information from you in order to honor your requests.
International Data Transfer. Your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country (such as the United States) that is not regarded as ensuring an adequate level of protection for personal data under European Union law. We have put in place appropriate safeguards (such as contractual commitments) in accordance with applicable legal requirements to ensure that your information is adequately protected. For more information on the appropriate safeguards in place, please contact us at the details below.
Questions or Concerns?
Attn: Ray Burley, DPO
6625 The Corners Parkway
Norcross, Georgia 30092