Prep for Bookkeeping Certification Online
Certification Training and Exam Package
Ashworth College's Bookkeeping training courses will help you learn the vital information you'll need to help any business or organization manage their financial records. You'll learn the basics of accounting practices that analyze, verify, and post details of financial transactions for companies of all sizes. Ashworth College's Bookkeeping courses prepare you for the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) Uniform Bookkeeper Certification Examination. National bookkeeping certification of your skills can help you validate your knowledge of bookkeeping practices, build your credibility, and distinguish yourself within the industry. Graduate in as few as 4 months.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Evaluating your business idea; setting yourself apart from the competition; market testing; investment funding and donation funding; qualities of an entrepreneur; crowdfunding and angel investors.
Lesson Group 2: The Basics of General BookkeepingIntroduction to Bookkeeping
Defines the skills and knowledge required of bookkeepers and the role of the bookkeeper within the structure of an accounting department. Introduces students to the basic terminology and equations of the accounting process as they specifically apply to bookkeeping.
Introduces students to the charts of accounts and the possible interpretations and setups possible for the charts of accounts in different business structures. Students will also learn the process of making general ledger and subledger journal entries to record sales, purchases, payments and cash receipts.
Lesson Group 3: The Activities of BookkeepingPayroll Basics
Students will learn the steps and controls used in the payroll process for salaried and hourly employees. This lesson also provides instruction on the administration of deductions for benefits, taxes, social security, and unemployment compensation.
This lesson provides instruction on the steps and controls used to record purchasing activities for both cash and credit purchases, including applicable taxes, as well as management of petty cash, billing and collections.
An introduction to accounting records required for the accurate management of inventory and other business assets. Instruction is provided on understanding cost-of-goods-sold, inventory obsolescence, depreciation, and the concept of FIFO, LIFO inventory systems. Students are introduced to the bookkeeping entries associated with short-term and long-term debt and interest.
Lesson Group 4: Statements, Controls, and RecordsFinancial Statements
Students will learn the process for the preparation of common financial statements, including the trial balance, balance sheet and income statements and the techniques required to analyze these statements for accuracy, compliance, and general business condition.
This lesson introduces the budget development process and provides instruction on the structure of subsidiary budgets and how they support the creation of the overall revenue budget. Students will also learn the various options that are available to provide control multiple business operations.
Provides instruction on the filing systems and record retention systems and policies required for most common bookkeeping activities. This lesson also describes the tasks required of bookkeepers when executing cost reduction activities.
Why Choose Ashworth College career school for your Bookkeeping Training?
- Your online Bookkeeping classes prepare you to take the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) Uniform Bookkeeper Certification Exam. Your exam fee is included as part of your program tuition, which means no additional cost to you!
- You'll receive a comprehensive bookkeeping textbook that details the essentials of accounts and ledgers, payroll, purchasing, billing, inventory, assets, debt, and more.
- You'll receive an online certification practice test provided by NBA to help you assess your level of knowledge and increase your potential for passing the certification exam.
- Your online bookkeeping training includes numerous virtual field trips to Internet locations that will expand the depth of your instruction and assist in the development of your personal resource collection.
Ashworth College partners with the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) to provide you with a valuable opportunity for professional certification.
Why choose NBA for your Bookkeeping Certification?
- NBA is one of America's leading providers of bookkeeping certifications. NBA's Bookkeeper Certification can help job applicants and employees communicate their knowledge and skills to employers and build credibility within the industry.
- The Uniform Bookkeeper Certification Examination is developed and maintained by NBA and administered by the Accounting Training and Testing Center (ATTC). Because the exam is taken in ATTC's Online Testing Center, you can take the exam at any time and from any place with an Internet connection. NBA also allows for a retake exam if needed.
- NBA offers innovative certification preparation options and features that include online practice exams, on-demand webinar instruction, handouts, quizzes, and continuing professional education (CPE) credits to help you achieve and maintain your certification.
Bookkeeping Certification Exam Requirements:
Certification exam prerequisites vary. Please check with the National Bookkeepers Association for their requirements.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our Bookkeeping Training Course
As part of Ashworth College's Bookkeeping training online, you'll learn how to create financial reports, reconcile accounts, pay suppliers, issue invoices, assemble information for audit, and maintain charts and budgets—all in compliance with government regulations.
Employers are looking for bookkeepers who can:
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software
- Receive, record, and bank cash, checks, and vouchers
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting, or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses
- Calculate, prepare, and issue bills, invoices, account statements, and other financial statements according to established procedures
- Prepare and process payroll information
- Complete and submit tax forms and returns, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms, and other government documents
- Prepare purchase orders and expense reports
- Calculate costs of materials, overhead, and other expenses, based on estimates, quotations and price lists
- Compile budget data and documents, based on estimated revenues and expenses and previous budgets
- Maintain inventory records
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"Dreams really do come true! Thanks for helping me reach them Ashworth!"
– Samantha Currier, Student
"For someone who doesn’t want a big student loan or for working or single parents - or whoever you are, Ashworth is the place for you. If you need support, the support is available. It’s flexible, it’s reasonable in terms of pricing – you can’t beat it."
– Ria Louis, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
Your Bookkeeping Trainer Course Includes:
- Comprehensive bookkeeping textbook and online learning guides
- National Bookkeepers Association certification exam practice test (after graduation)
- National Bookkeepers Association Uniform Bookkeeper Certification Exam (cost included in program tuition)
- Online exams and assessments
- Access to Academic Advisors
- Access to a Learning Resource Center and Library via Proquest
- Ability to track academic progress and manage account information via the student portal
- Personalized Career Guidance
- Ability to interact with peer students, faculty, and staff via Ashworth's Online Community
What certifications are available for the Bookkeeping Training?
Ashworth College Bookkeeping career diploma program graduates are able to sit for the Uniform Bookkeeper Certification Exam administered by the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA).
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College Bookkeeping course compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the bookkeeping training program you choose covers all of the material necessary to prepare you for a national bookkeeping exam. Look for a bookkeeping course that has lesson content that's focused on basic roles and duties of bookkeepers as required within the framework of accounting activities in a business setting. A well-rounded bookkeeper course includes coverage of cash and accrual accounting, double-entry bookkeeping, debits and credits, payroll transactions, depreciation and amortization, inventory controls, and preparation of required financial documents.
Is this course all online or do I get books?
The Bookkeeping program includes a physical textbook that is shipped to the student at the start of the Lesson Group 2. Learning guides are available online and as printed booklets.
Our Bookkeeping course will help prepare you for a fulfilling career. Graduate fast! Call 1-800-957-5412 or enroll online now.