Event Planning Course
As an event planner, you'll have a large responsibility in planning the perfect event for your clients. Our online Event Planning courses are the ideal way to learn how to become an event planner and handle all of the logistics associated with arranging professional meetings, conferences, trade shows, receptions, special occasions and other events. You'll also be eligible for student membership in Meeting Professionals International (MPI), at no extra charge. You can start your event planner courses immediately, learn at your own pace and graduate with the Event Planning career diploma in as few as 4 month.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Evaluating your business idea; setting yourself apart from the competition; market testing; investment funding and donation funding; qualities of an entrepreneur; crowd funding and angel investors.
Lesson Group 2: Foundations of Event PlanningIntroduction to Event Planning
The role of the event planner; sharpening your event-planning skills; why people hire event planners; typical services provided by event planners.
The importance of professionalism and manners; conducting the first client interview; contracting with clients and vendors; event insurance and liability; the importance of developing a team.
Creating a timeline; typical event styles and themes; event marketing and promotion; organizing and controlling the event; client review and service evaluation.
Lesson Group 3: Planning the Big EventSigned, Sealed, and Delivered
The event planner's role in determining the guest list; the steps involved in evaluating and securing a venue; implementing the event plan; the importance of documentation and record keeping; selecting and sending invitations; event management.
Different types of vendors that event planners work with; finding and interviewing appropriate vendors for events; reviewing samples of work; asking for references; saying thank you.
Hiring appropriate vendors for events; the budget; the event menu; the event registry; methods for receiving and safeguarding gifts during events.
Lesson Group 4: Types of EventsFundraising Events and Auctions
Organizing fundraising events; host committees and sponsors; planning live auctions, tracking auction items; announcing winners.
Planning for different events, including baby showers, B'rit Milah, B'rit Bat, and baptisms, christenings, and dedications; the significance and symbolization of each event; what the event should entail before, during, and after the celebrations.
Planning events and rituals, including Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, Quinceañeras, anniversary parties, and birthday parties, including sweet sixteen parties.
Determining destination styles; popular destinations for events; different areas to consider when selecting destination locations; planning and budgeting; legal requirements; important travel tips for clients.
Lesson Group 5: Setting Yourself Up for SuccessHow to Be Your Own Boss
Starting and running a successful; business; the business plan; research into other event planning businesses; the importance of business etiquette and protocol; continuing education; working with family and friends.
The importance of marketing and networking; social media and other online tools; hiring reliable assistants.
Why choose Ashworth College to learn how to become an Event Planner?
- Ashworth's event planning program tuition and payment plans are among the most affordable vs. other online event planning schools.
- Your event planner training program features the most up-to-date information regarding planning a wide variety of events including professional meetings, auctions, special occasions, and more.
- Your course offers a one-year student membership in Meeting Professionals International (MPI), the largest meeting and event industry association worldwide. MPI has approximately 18,500 members and offers pertinent education, networking opportunities, and business exchanges. In addition, your fee for the one-year student membership is included as part of your program tuition, which means no extra cost to you!
- Your event planning classes include numerous virtual field trips and important tips to reinforce key ideas and enhance your multimedia experience.
Event Planning Program Membership
Ashworth College, along with Meeting Professionals International (MPI), provides you with a valuable opportunity for professional membership with the largest meeting and event industry association in the world.
Why choose Meeting Professionals International for your Membership?
- MPI has approximately 18,500 members, including more than 80 chapters and clubs in 22 countries.
- Event planner training program Student members are eligible to apply for scholarships from the MPI Foundation.
- MPI automatically enrolls student members in one of the 80 chapters/clubs operating around the world, giving students an opportunity to participate and network with MPI members in their area.
- MPI student members have access to MPI's industry calendar where they can view industry events, educational activities, and learn how to become a better event panner.
- Student members have access to The Meeting Professional, the monthly magazine dedicated to bringing valuable industry-related news.
- MPI's Industry Careers job portal connects event planner program student members with employers who are looking to hire in the meeting and event industry. MPI's job bank includes both internships and full-time job opportunities.
- Student members have access to MPI's membership directory, which contains contact information for over 23,000 industry professionals.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our Event Planning Online Course
As part of Ashworth College's Event Planning courses you'll learn how to conduct client and vendor interviews, manage client expectations, draft contracts, plan different types of events, market your skills and events, and hire reliable staff. This program will truly teach you how to become an event planner.
Employers are looking for event planners who can:
- Manage multiple projects at the same time
- Make decisions quickly while remaining calm under pressure
- Communicate effectively with clients, vendors, and event staff
- Negotiate service contracts for clients
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"Dreams really do come true! Thanks for helping me reach them Ashworth!"
– Samantha Currier, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
"Thank you Ashworth for making it possible to go to school while having a family and a job! "
– Anna Bak, Student
Your Event Planning Course Includes:
- One year student membership in Meeting Professionals International ($40 value)
- Illustrated lesson books and custom study guides
- Career diploma at graduation; you may participate in our live commencement ceremony
How do I get access to my MPI student membership?
Students are eligible for the one-year MPI student membership after they have completed the first exam in the program and have been in the program for three months. Once those requirements are met, students can contact Ashworth College to request membership.
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College Event Planning program compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the program you choose includes the latest information on event planning procedures, including selecting and working with vendors, working with clients, negotiating prices, drafting contracts, and marketing. Look for a program that has only the lesson content you need to know; a program that's focused on the event planning skills you need to become an event planner.
Do I need previous experience in event planning to enroll in Ashworth College's Event Planning Career Diploma program?
No, you don't need previous experience to enroll in the Event Planning program. This program is designed to teach you the professional skills of event planning.
Is this event planner course all online or do I get books?
There's no textbook associated with this program. All of the material you need is provided in customized learning guides, which are available online and also delivered to you as printed booklets.
The Event Planning courses at Ashworth College can help you get started. Call 1-800-957-5412 or enroll online .