Online Tax Preparation Course at Ashworth
Certification Training and Exam Package
Ashworth College's Online Tax Preparation course allows you to learn essential tax preparer information in as little as four months. As a student in Ashworth College's Tax Preparation course, you'll learn how to calculate and report income, exemptions, adjustments, deductions, and credits. You'll also learn about the tax rules and allowances related to self-employment or sole proprietorship, and what's involved in the final stages of completing a typical tax return. Our Tax Preparer course also helps prepare you for the Tax Certification Exam issued by the National Bookkeepers Association. National certification of your skills can help you validate your knowledge of tax preparation, build your credibility, and distinguish yourself within the industry.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Evaluating your business idea; setting yourself apart from the competition; market testing; investment funding and donation funding; qualities of an entrepreneur; crowdfunding and angel investors.
Lesson Group 2 – Filing Status and Income BasicsCareer and Tax Overview and Filing Status
An introduction to the career opportunities available for individuals having formal training in tax preparation, followed by instruction in the fundamentals of the U.S. tax system and a summary of the concepts of tax calculation for individuals based on their filing status.
The basics of determining taxable and non-taxable income from common sources such as compensation from employment and services, as well as interest, dividends and educational benefits.
This lesson continues instruction related to income calculation related to retirement contributions, distributions, and rollovers as well as annuities. Various forms of IRAs are reviewed as well as the taxability of social security and inheritance.
Lesson Group 3 – Property Income and DeductionsIncome, Part 3
This final lesson on income deals with the monies earned from the sale or rental of real estate and monies earned as royalties on intellectual property. Detailed coverage is provided on the tax implications of selling a primary residence.
An introduction to the concept of tax deductions focusing on the common deductions allowed when itemizing on a return such as medical and dental expenses, taxes, interest, and charitable donations. Students also learn to determine when to itemize deductions instead of using a standard deduction.
Exploration of tax deductions allowed for different types of losses as well as for certain business expenses such as travel and entertainment. Personal exemptions are also covered as part of this important topic.
Lesson Group 4 – Small Business Clients and Returns FilingReturns for Self-Employment and Small Business
The unique tax rules and allowances for income related to the operation of a sole proprietorship or for the self-employed including medical and retirement plans, depreciation of business assets, and car/truck and office expenses.
This lesson covers the final stages of completing a typical tax return before filing including the calculation of tax due for the regular process and for Alternative Minimum Tax situations. Students will also learn to identify and apply tax credits, understand the requirements for tax withholdings and prepayment as well as review the IRS audit process.
Why Choose Ashworth College career school for your Tax Preparer Certification Training?
- Ashworth College's online Tax Preparation training course is one of the most affordable online programs available.
- Your Tax Preparation classes fully prepare you to take the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) Tax Certification Exam* upon graduation. Your exam fee is included as part of your program tuition, which means no additional cost to you!
- What's more, you'll receive an online certification practice test provided by NBA to help you assess your level of knowledge and increase your potential for passing the tax preparer certification exam with confidence.
- Your online tax course is fully updated for the 2016 tax year and includes the tax preparation textbook – "J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax - 2016", rated the #1 tax guide for 75 years! At no extra charge, you also receive access to the J.K. Lasser website, with tax supplements and all the last minute tax changes you need to complete the most accurate tax returns.
- Your Tax Preparation classes include numerous virtual field trips to Internet locations that will expand the depth of your instruction and assist in the development of your personal resource collection.
Tax Preparer Certification
Ashworth College partners with the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) to provide you with a valuable opportunity for professional tax preparation certification.
Why choose NBA for your Tax Certification?
- "NBA" is America's leading provider of bookkeeping certifications. NBA's Tax Preparation Certification helps job applicants and employees communicate their tax preparation knowledge and skills to employers and build credibility within the industry. Tax preparation certification through "NBA is recognized throughout the United States".
- The Tax Preparation Examination is developed and maintained by NBA and administered by the Accounting Training and Testing Center (ATTC). Because the exam is taken in ATTC's Online Testing Center, you can take the exam at any time and from any place with an Internet connection.
- NBA offers innovative certification preparation options and features that include online practice exams, on-demand webinar instruction, review questions, practical problems and cases, and continuing professional education (CPE) credits to help you achieve and maintain your certification.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our Tax Preparation Course
As part of Ashworth College's Tax Preparation training course, you'll learn how to accurately complete tax forms and schedules in compliance with all relevant and current tax codes and requirements.
Employers are looking for tax preparers who can:
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"Dreams really do come true! Thanks for helping me reach them Ashworth!"
– Samantha Currier, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
"Thank you Ashworth for making it possible to go to school while having a family and a job! "
– Anna Bak, Student
Your Personal Trainer Course Includes:
- Comprehensive tax preparation textbook and online learning guides
- Access to J.K. Lasser's online Tax Resource Center
- National Bookkeepers Association Tax Certification Exam Practice Test (after graduation)
- National Bookkeepers Association Tax Certification Exam* (cost included in program tuition)
- Online exams and assessments
- Access to Academic Advisors
- Access to a Learning Resource Center and Library via Proquest
- Ability to track academic progress and manage account information via the student portal
- Personalized Career Guidance
- Ability to interact with peer students, faculty, and staff via Ashworth's Online Community
What tax preparation certifications are available for the Ashworth College tax courses?
Ashworth College Tax Preparation career diploma program graduates are automatically eligible to sit for the Tax Certification Exam administered by the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA).
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College Tax Preparation training course compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the program you choose covers all of the material necessary to prepare you for a national tax certification exam. Look for a tax preparation program that has lesson content that's focused on basic management principles for the tax preparation process, including determining taxable and non-taxable income, identifying deductions, adhering to tax rules and allowances for self-employment and small business, completing tax calculations, and applying tax credits. A well-rounded program includes tax preparation practices required for accurate preparation and filing of federal tax returns for individuals and small businesses.
Is this course all online or do I get books?
The Tax Preparation training program includes a physical textbook that is shipped to the student at the start of the Lesson Group 2. Learning guides are available online and as printed booklets.
Complete our online Tax Preparation courses on your terms and at your own comfortable pace. Call 1-800-957-5412 or enroll online today.
*Certification Exam Requirements: Certification exam prerequisites vary. Please check with NBA for their requirements.