Payroll Training - Online
Certification Training and Exam Package
Ashworth College's online Payroll Training will help you learn the vital information you'll need to help your business or organization manage the critical processes of accurately executing the payment of employee wages and benefits and the installation and monitoring of the controls that prevent theft and fraud. Ashworth College's Payroll training classes prepare you for the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) Payroll Certification Exam. National certification of your skills can help you validate your knowledge of payroll systems, build your credibility, and distinguish your within the industry. Graduate in as few as 4 months.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Evaluating your business idea; setting yourself apart from the competition; market testing; investment funding and donation funding; qualities of an entrepreneur; crowdfunding and angel investors.
Lesson Group 2: Introduction to Payroll and EmployeesIntroduction to Payroll Management
This lesson will define the traditional payroll process and the methods used to manage data entry functions to improve operational efficiency. Students will learn the concepts of electronic payment and employee self-service systems. Students also learn about the types of employees and contractors and the importance of confidentiality in the payroll processing function.
Lesson coverage includes the importance of accurate time tracking and the varieties of technical applications used to accurately track employee time on the job. Students will learn the distinction between wages from salaries and how to calculate compensation for different kinds of wage plans, as well as supplemental wages including overtime, commissions, sick and vacation pay.
In this lesson, students will be introduced to a wide range of employee benefits and to the wage implications and taxability of each type of benefit.
Lesson Group 3: Deductions and PaymentsDeductions and Taxes
Students will learn how to execute the actual deduction process for benefits and for special situations like garnishments. This lesson also reviews the process of calculating and withholding employee and employer payroll taxes.
This lesson provides instruction on how and when federal, state, and local payroll taxes are actually paid to the appropriate tax agency and the rules and processes associated with different deposit schedules. Lesson coverage also includes the common types of manual and electronic methods for distribution of employee compensation.
Lesson Group 4: Payroll Accounting and ControlsPayroll Accounting and Reports
Students will gain an understanding of the payroll accounting process including specific journal entries, the creation of financial statements, the uses of the payroll register, and the preparation of internal and external reports. Students will also learn the proper application of W-2, W-3, and 1099-MISC forms.
This lesson describes procedures used for the creation and maintenance of payroll data and records necessary for company and IRS compliance. Students will learn processes for adding employees to the payroll system and the application of documents or systems required for capturing and documenting work time and generating payment/withholding records. This lesson concludes with coverage of the types of controls used to identify and prevent fraud associated with the payroll process.
Students will learn calculations and measurements used to monitor and improve the payroll process and to supply critical data used to manage human capital. The lesson also provides an overview of payroll outsourcing and the business activities required to institute and manage outsourced payroll activities.
Why Choose Ashworth College online career school for your Payroll Training?
- Your Payroll Clerk Training program fully prepares you to take the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) Payroll Certification Exam. Your exam fee is included as part of your program tuition, which means no additional cost to you!
- You'll receive an up-to-date payroll management textbook that details the latest regulations and reporting requirements related to compensation, benefits, payroll taxes, and tax remittances.
- You'll receive an online payroll certification practice test provided by NBA to help you assess your level of knowledge and increase your potential for passing the certification exam with confidence.
- Your online payroll classes include numerous virtual field trips to Internet locations that will expand the depth of your instruction and assist in the development of your personal resource collection.
Payroll Clerk Certification
Ashworth College partners with the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA) to provide you with a valuable opportunity for professional payroll certification.
Why choose NBA for your Payroll Certification?
- NBA is America's leading provider of bookkeeping certifications. NBA's Payroll Certification helps job applicants and employees communicate their payroll knowledge and skills to employers and build credibility within the industry. Payroll certification through NBA is recognized throughout the United States of America.
- The Payroll Certification Examination is developed and maintained by NBA and administered by the Accounting Training and Testing Center (ATTC). Because the exam is taken in ATTC's Online Testing Center, you can take the exam at any time and from any place with an Internet connection. NBA also allows for a retake exam if needed.
- NBA offers innovative certification preparation options and features that include online practice exams, on-demand webinar instruction, handouts, quizzes, and continuing professional education (CPE) credits to help you achieve and maintain your certification.
Payroll Certification Exam Requirements:
Certification exam prerequisites vary. Please check with the National Bookkeepers Association for their requirements.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our Payroll Trainer Course
As part of Ashworth College's Payroll training online, you'll learn how to accurately compute and maintain records and reports related to the distribution of wages and employee benefits.
Employers are looking for payroll clerks who can:
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies
- Process paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into computers
- Record employee information, such as exemptions, transfers, and resignations, to maintain and update payroll records
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions
- Provide information to employees and managers on payroll matters, tax issues, benefit plans, and collective agreement provisions
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and submit them to appropriate departments
- Prepare and balance period-end reports, and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"Dreams really do come true! Thanks for helping me reach them Ashworth!"
– Samantha Currier, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
"Thank you Ashworth for making it possible to go to school while having a family and a job! "
– Anna Bak, Student
Your Payroll Trainer Course Includes:
- Comprehensive payroll management textbook and online learning guides
- National Bookkeepers Association certification exam practice test (after graduation)
- National Bookkeepers Association Payroll Certification Exam (cost included in program tuition)
- Online assessments
- Access to Academic Advisors
- Access to a Learning Resource Center and Library via Proquest
- Ability to track academic progress and manage account information via the student portal
- Personalized Career Guidance
- Ability to interact with peer payroll training program students, faculty, and staff via Ashworth's Online Community
What certifications are available for the Payroll Clerk Career Diploma Program?
Ashworth College Payroll training program graduates are automatically eligible to sit for the Payroll Certification Exam administered by the National Bookkeepers Association (NBA).
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College online Payroll Clerk training course compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the program you choose covers all of the material necessary to prepare you for a national payroll certification exam. Look for a payroll training that has lesson content that's focused on basic management principles for the payroll process, time tracking, deductions for benefits and taxes, and the payment process. A well-rounded program includes accounting practices required for accurate reporting and record keeping, as well as processes used for outsourcing payroll functions.
Is this payroll course all online or do I get books?
Online Payroll training includes a physical textbook that is shipped to the student at the start of the Lesson Group 2. Learning guides are available online and as printed booklets.