Landscape Design course curriculum
As you progress through our online Landscape Design course curriculum, you will explore the fundamentals of landscape design and develop hands-on skills used by professionals. Every class is tailored to have real-world relevance, which means you can actually use your new skills and knowledge on the job. There’s also a strong emphasis on important business concepts and practices, preparing you to operate your own landscape design business.
Curriculum LessonsLesson 1: Learning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
An overview of potential career paths and professional development available for students who formally develop skills and knowledge related to building construction. This lesson includes a summary of math and science concepts important to building professionals as well as applications of modern technologies to the construction workplace. The lesson concludes with an overview of general workplace safety practices and applications of personal protection equipment.
Students will learn to begin the design process using client interviews and site evaluations. This lesson also teaches basic sketching and drawing principles and combine those with elements of the site evaluation and client interview to create a rough concept diagram.
This lesson covers the development of the overall design theme and the establishment of lawn and planting areas based on the theme developed. Lesson coverage also includes the addition of pathways and patios to the development of the design. The student continues to develop presentation skills through the use of grid lines and detailed drawing features to their plan.
A summary of the process used to select the materials necessary to execute the desired design plan. The lesson introduces the specific steps followed for selecting vertical elements in a design and the process for adding trees and plants to accomplish specific design goals. This lesson also addresses building codes and how they factor into the completion of a final design.
/ Lessons Displayed
Students learn basic design techniques and their application to the development of landscaped properties. The program also provides instruction on the identification and application of the plants and structural materials used to execute landscape design projects. In addition, the program provides instruction on the basic business concepts and practices necessary to operate a landscape design business as well as theory and knowledge needed to maintain existing landscaped systems.
After completing the Landscape Design program, students will be able to:
- Describe how to interpret the visual elements used during the overall landscape design process, including drawings and graphics tools, and apply this knowledge to the development of personal design concepts.
- Explain how to visualize the landscape site and design space as outdoor rooms and apply standard design principles to enhance the appearance of residential and commercial outdoor space.
- Apply mathematical and computer-based solutions to both the design and business-related functions of the landscaping design process.
- Identify various, plants, flowers, surface materials, and enclosures used to create and enhance exterior design spaces and describe the many applications and configurations used for these materials.
- Identify and define essential business concepts utilized by landscaping professionals to operate successful businesses, such as the generation and interpretation of contracts and specifications, human resource management, safety and OSHA compliance, and customer service.
- Describe the various aspects of the irrigation, winterizing, and general maintenance required for established landscapes.
Grow your career
At Ashworth College, Landscape Design course curriculum is just the beginning. Our students also have exclusive access to our innovative Career Tools. That includes one-on-one career guidance, interview coaching, and resume writing workshops with our expert advisors.