Online HIPAA program curriculum
The online HIPAA program curriculum is based on current Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act privacy and security rules. In this course, you will gain a full understanding of what it takes for a medical practice to meet and maintain compliance.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career Certificate ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Lesson Group 2: Introduction to HIPAAHIPAA History, Regulations, and Standards
HIPAA history and evolution; the current state of compliance; overview of the Omnibus Rule updates; the impact of the HITECH Act; pending proposed HIPAA rules; organizations that must comply with HIPAA and HITECH; identifying protected health information (PHI); violations, penalties, and enforcement; electronic transactions and code sets; meaningful use; breach notices and disposal requirements; state health information and breach notification laws.
Managing change within the workplace; creating a mindset of compliance among employees; privacy and security implementation and maintenance costs; PHI-related costs; privacy and security officer costs; Privacy Rule and Security Rule overlaps.
Privacy Rule requirements; PHI use and disclosure; gap and risk analyses; writing effective privacy procedures; state preemption; crafting a privacy implementation plan; compliance checklists.
General rules for Security Rule compliance; performing a risk analysis and writing effective information security policies; crafting a security implementation plan; compliance checklists.
The HIPAA Compliance certificate program provides students with an overview of the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules and details the compliance tasks, training, and technology needed to implement privacy and security policies. Students will learn about the most recent regulations and standards, implementation cost considerations, covered entity issues, and guidelines for creating a HIPAA-compliant infrastructure. Special attention is paid to recent updates in HIPAA regulations, including the HITECH Act and the Omnibus Rule.
After completing the HIPAA Compliance program, students will be able to do the following:
- Explain what the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) entails, what it requires, and what organizations can do to attain and maintain compliance
- Compare the HIPAA Privacy Rule and Security Rule and discuss compliance implementation measures for both
- Explain the most recent changes to HIPAA, including the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act and the Omnibus Rule, and discuss how these updates further affect compliance
- Describe how covered entities are impacted by HIPAA regulations
- Explain the necessary components of a HIPAA-compliant technology infrastructure
- Discuss organizational security incident procedures and contingency plans for HIPAA-related violations
- Identify training, education, and compliance-awareness procedures for employees of organizations impacted by HIPAA
Pursue your professional goals
Our online HIPAA program curriculum can boost your career skills through HIPAA expertise. But you won't be on your own after you graduate. As an Ashworth College student and alumnus, you always have access to our range of Career Tools for help and advice all along your career path.