HIPAA Compliance Training Online
Ashworth College's online HIPAA Compliance training will help you ensure your healthcare organization is compliant with federal privacy and security regulations. You'll learn vital information about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), including what it requires and what you need to do to attain and maintain compliance within your organization. Your HIPAA course includes the most up-to-date information on recent HIPAA changes, including the HITECH Act, the Omnibus Rule, and pending regulations.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career Certificate ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Lesson Group 2: Introduction to HIPAAHIPAA History, Regulations, and Standards
HIPAA history and evolution; the current state of compliance; overview of the Omnibus Rule updates; the impact of the HITECH Act; pending proposed HIPAA rules; organizations that must comply with HIPAA and HITECH; identifying protected health information (PHI); violations, penalties, and enforcement; electronic transactions and code sets; meaningful use; breach notices and disposal requirements; state health information and breach notification laws.
Managing change within the workplace; creating a mindset of compliance among employees; privacy and security implementation and maintenance costs; PHI-related costs; privacy and security officer costs; Privacy Rule and Security Rule overlaps.
Privacy Rule requirements; PHI use and disclosure; gap and risk analyses; writing effective privacy procedures; state preemption; crafting a privacy implementation plan; compliance checklists.
General rules for Security Rule compliance; performing a risk analysis and writing effective information security policies; crafting a security implementation plan; compliance checklists.
Lesson Group 3: HIPAA for Covered EntitiesHealthcare Provider and Clearinghouse Issues
Privacy notices; fees for record review; mitigation measures; fax use; sign-in sheets; patient charts; business associates; authorizations; clearinghouse requirements and transactions.
Health plan requirements; marketing issues; notice of privacy practices; insurance plans excluded from HIPAA; communications; government and law enforcement issues.
Large versus small employers; organizational requirements related to health plan benefits; handling employee health information; medical surveillance; workers' compensation; training and resources; business associate requirements and weaknesses.
Lesson Group 4: Technology and Training for HIPAACreating a HIPAA-Compliant Technology System
Specific technologies related to compliance implementation; mobile computing issues; handling security incidents; contingency planning; outsourcing IT functions.
Creating an effective awareness program; identifying awareness and training groups; specialized HIPAA training topics; training delivery methods, design, and development; awareness options; document training and awareness activities; getting support; measuring effectiveness.
Determining the ongoing cost of compliance; ongoing privacy and security issues; interpreting audit outcomes to improve compliance.
Why Choose Ashworth College online career school for your HIPAA Compliance Training?
- Ashworth College's online HIPAA Compliance program is one of the most affordable and convenient programs offered on health information privacy and security.
- Your HIPAA compliance program fully details the requirements of HIPAA for covered entities and gives you the most recent regulations concerning privacy and security enforcement strategies and technology concerns as they relate to electronic health records (EHRs), breach notification penalties, information authorization procedures, and more.
- You'll receive a comprehensive HIPAA privacy and security compliance textbook that details what HIPAA is, what it requires, what you need to do to achieve compliance, how to implement a compliant technology infrastructure, and how to handle security violations.
- Your HIPAA Compliance training course includes virtual field trips using Internet resources to reinforce advanced concepts, provide multimedia presentations, and to help develop your skills for research and professional growth.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our HIPAA Compliance Training Course
As part of Ashworth College's HIPAA Compliance training online, you'll learn how to record, store, retrieve, and release individually identifiable health information according to privacy and security guidelines outlined by the federal government.
Employers are looking for qualified health information professionals who can:
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained
- Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations
- Plan, develop, maintain, or operate a variety of health record indexes or storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, or analyze information
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into a secure computer system
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"Thank you, Ashworth College, for giving me the tools to be successful."
– Jose Dones, Student
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
Your HIPAA Compliance Training Course Includes:
- Comprehensive privacy and security compliance textbook and online learning guides
- Online exams and assessments
- Access to Academic Advisors
- Access to a Learning Resource Center and Library via Proquest
- Ability to track academic progress and manage account information via the student portal
- Personalized Career Guidance
- Ability to interact with peer students, faculty, and staff via Ashworth's Online Community
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College HIPAA Compliance training course compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the HIPAA training program you choose covers all of the material necessary to enable you to ensure compliance with federal guidelines regarding the privacy and security of patient health information. Look for a HIPAA Compliance program that has lesson content that's focused on the compliance tasks, training, and technology needed to implement privacy and security policies. A well-rounded program details the most recent regulations and standards, implementation cost considerations, covered entity issues, and guidelines for creating a HIPAA-compliant infrastructure.
Is this HIPAA course all online or do I get books?
The HIPAA Compliance program includes a physical textbook that is shipped to the student at the start of the Lesson Group 2. Learning guides are available online and as printed booklets.