Online nutrition program curriculum
From the human body to food safety, our online nutrition program curriculum is designed to be thorough, practical, and job-relevant. You'll graduate with an in-depth understanding of health science concepts, challenges, and opportunities—and know how to apply them in a professional setting.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Introduction to career opportunities available in the fitness and exercise, sport psychology, massage, and nutrition fields.
Lesson Group 2: Introduction to Nutrition and HealthFood Choices: Nutrients and Nourishment
The function of nutrients in food choices; assessing nutritional health.
How nutrition discoveries are made; how nutrition experiments translate into guidelines; identifying available nutrition tools to help plan healthier diets.
Tracing the path of a meal from the time it is eaten until it has been digested, absorbed, transported within the body, and metabolized—all the way to the point when the body excretes the meal's nonabsorbable waste products.
Defines carbohydrates; how the body uses carbs; how to plan a diet that includes the correct amount of all types of carbohydrates.
Students learn the latest nutrition and diet information in this comprehensive program. Topics include MyPlate guidelines, diet planning, the digestive system, and how nutrients affect energy, wellness and disease.
After completing the Nutrition, Diet, and Health Science program, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the six major classes of nutrients and explain their importance to the healthy functioning of the human body.
- Outline nutritional requirements at all stages of life, from infancy through adulthood.
- Describe how to identify reliable nutritional information using different dietary standards, recommendations and recognized industry tools.
- Outline the path taken by nutrients as they travel through the body and describe the role of the parts of the body in digestion, absorption, and the removal of waste products.
- Describe the benefits of regular physical exercise including aerobic and anaerobic activities and how nutrition factors into exercise for athletes other highly active individuals.
- List and describe the causes of global problems with the food supply and explain ways these issues might be resolved.
Ingredients for a healthy job hunt
Ashworth College API Program Name Career Diploma program help you develop the confidence you need to reach for your career goals because we integrate job search prep into your studies. With the online tools at the Ashworth EDGE, you’ll get step-by-step guidance as you create polished, professional resumes and letters. After you graduate, you’ll keep your Ashworth EDGE account so you can revisit the tools any time you need to make a good impression on a potential employer. Learn more about it at the Career Services page.