Medical Transcription course online curriculum
Our Medical Transcription course online curriculum gives you a thorough introduction to medical systems and terminology so you can become a knowledgeable medical transcriptionist. You will get lots of hands-on practice learning to accurately prepare healthcare reports on patient histories, physical examinations, operations, consultations, and more for a variety of medical specialities.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Introduction to the basic operations of allied health careers and the legal and ethical issues students may encounter while working in the many different venues available for these fields.
Lesson Group 2: Medical and Body Systems TerminologyMedical Terminology
Fundamentals and origins of medical terms; analyzing, defining, and creating medical terms; identifying major body structures and directional terms.
Anatomy, physiology, and basic terminology related to the integumentary, musculoskeletal, digestive, cardiovascular, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, and nervous systems.
Anatomy, physiology, and basic terminology related to the urinary and reproductive systems; gynecology, obstetrics, and neonatology terms and conditions; anatomy of the eyes and ears.
An overview of the terminology related to major chronic and infectious diseases as well as surgical treatments for those diseases.
The Medical Transcription program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to transcribe various types of healthcare documents. Students are introduced to the healthcare record, transcription technology, standard practices, and style perspectives. They learn to transcribe documents related to all medical specialties, including cardiology, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, orthopedics, neurology, and psychiatry. Students also learn how to edit medical documents transcribed by voice recognition devices.
After completing the Medical Transcription program, students will be able to:
- Explain the personal and professional skills required for success in this profession, outline the job duties associated with this work, explain how medical transcriptionists are impacted by HIPAA and other ethical regulations, and describe the employment opportunities available to trained personnel.
- Describe how to build a strong base of medical terminology and use this terminology to accurately identify and describe body planes, anatomical directions, and the structures and functions of all major body systems.
- Identify and describe basic concepts related to examination procedures and positions, laboratory tests, radiography techniques, and pharmacology.
- Identify common problems and errors that occur during dictation or dictation conversion and explain when the transcriptionist should consult the Physicians’ Desk Reference (PDR), the dictionary, style guides, or other reference materials.
- Explain why medical records are confidential and describe how transcriptionists participate in the maintenance of patient confidentiality.
- Transcribe various types of reports accurately from a variety of medical specialties and proofread this work both for accuracy and compliance with standard rules of grammar and style.
- Edit medical documents previously transcribed by voice recognition devices.
The tools to grow your career
Our Medical Transcription course online curriculum teaches you a skill set needed by many medical facilities. To help you find the right job for your new skills, Ashworth College gives you exclusive access to career advice, job search assistance, and a network of employers looking for people just like you! Browse our Career Tools today to see how we can support your professional goals and help you discover new opportunities.