Medical Transcriptionist Training Curriculum
The Medical Transcription program was developed by practicing professionals to ensure you learn the skills needed to produce accurate healthcare reports, including patient histories, physical examinations, operative reports, consultation reports, and discharge summaries.
The Medical Transcription program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to transcribe various types of healthcare documents. Students are introduced to the healthcare record, transcription technology, standard practices and style perspectives. Students will have the opportunity to learn to transcribe documents related to all medical specialties, including family practice, internal medicine, cardiology, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, orthopedics, neurology and pathology. Special attention is paid to HIPAA regulations, confidentiality and professional issues related to employment.
After completing the Medical Transcription program, students will be able to:
- Explain the personal and professional skills required for success in this profession, outline the job duties associated with this work, explain how medical transcriptionists are impacted by HIPAA and other ethical regulations, and describe the employment opportunities available to trained personnel.
- Describe how to build a strong base of medical terminology and use this terminology to accurately identify and describe body planes, anatomical directions, and the structures and functions of all major body systems.
- Identify and describe basic concepts related to examination procedures and positions, laboratory tests, radiography techniques, and pharmacology.
- Identify common problems and errors that occur during dictation or dictation conversion and explain when the transcriptionist should consult the Physicians’ Desk Reference (PDR), the dictionary, style guides, or other reference materials.
- Explain why medical records are confidential and describe how transcriptionists participate in the maintenance of patient confidentiality.
- Transcribe various types of reports accurately from a variety of medical specialties and proofread this work both for accuracy and compliance with standard rules of grammar and style.
Get the skills you need with our Medical Transcription program. Call 1-800-957-5412 or enroll online today.