Online HVAC Course Curriculum
Through our online HVAC course curriculum, you will gain essential knowledge needed to install, troubleshoot, and maintain HVAC systems for residential and commercial buildings. Upon successful completion of your coursework, you will be ready to sit for the required EPA Section 608 Certification exam.
Curriculum LessonsLesson 1: Learning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Summary of HVACR technology and employment in HVACR environments; professional organizations, certifications and professional work practices; safe work practices.
Review of common hand and power tools as applied to HVAC/R installation and servicing and an introduction to tools used exclusively by HVAC/R technicians, including electrical testing and HVAC/R servicing meters and gauges.
Overview of the standard components and assemblies that are used in the refrigeration process; identification of different types of refrigerants and the basic elements of the refrigeration cycle.
Covers the safe and environmentally correct practices of handling refrigerants, and the correct techniques and procedures for soldering, brazing, and installing piping and tubing. Students will also learn about system charging, evacuation and leak testing.
/ Lessons Displayed
The Heating and Air Conditioning program is a comprehensive collection of lessons that provide the knowledge necessary for students to understand HVAC/R theory, identify typical systems and components used for heating and air conditioning residential and commercial buildings, and understand the standard procedures for installation, troubleshooting and maintaining HVAC/R installations and commercial refrigeration. This program offers students the opportunity to complete the EPA 608 certification exam as offered by the ESCO Institute.
After completing the Heating and Air Conditioning program, students will be able to:
- Identify the common tools and work procedures required to work safely and effectively as heating and air conditioning technicians.
- Describe the basic theory of the refrigeration cycle and explain the basic scientific principles that apply to the refrigeration cycle.
- Identify standard refrigerants used in common commercial applications and the outline the accepted procedures for safe handling and disposal of common refrigerants.
- Describe the basic components present in heating and cooling systems and outline the standard techniques used to troubleshoot systems and identify faulty components.
- Identify the standard forms and functions of popular residential heating systems and describe the basic troubleshooting and repair procedures used for each.
Heating up your job prospects
Ashworth College API Program Name Career Diploma program help you develop the confidence you need to reach for your career goals because we integrate job search prep into your studies. With the online tools at the Ashworth College Central Network, you’ll get step-by-step guidance as you create polished, professional resumes and letters. After you graduate, you’ll keep your Ashworth College Central Network account so you can revisit the tools any time you need to make a good impression on a potential employer. Learn more about it at the Career Services page.