Electronic Health Records Training Course
EHR Certification Training and Exam Package
Join one of the fastest growing healthcare fields by earning a career diploma in Electronic Health Records Management. Ashworth College's Electronic Health Records Training online course also helps prepare you to take the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS™) exam, administered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). CEHRS certification can give employers confidence in your data management skills. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects strong job growth in health records management, and the BLS specifically sites certification as a preference for many employers. CEHRS is a nationally recognized certification for health records technicians that can help you stand out to employers. Enroll in Ashworth College EHR Training today and finish in as fast as 4 months.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Introduction to the basic operations of allied health careers and the legal and ethical issues students may encounter while working in the many different venues available for these fields.
Lesson Group 2: Medical and Body Systems TerminologyMedical Terminology
Introduction to basic medical terminology and word formation; identification of the four major word parts of medical terms; building, defining, and analyzing medical terms.
Discussion of the anatomy and physiology of the integumentary, musculoskeletal, digestive, cardiovascular, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, and nervous systems; identification of associated terms, conditions, and abbreviations.
Discussion of the anatomy and physiology of the urinary and reproductive systems, the specialties of gynecology, obstetrics, and neonatology, and the anatomy of the eyes and ears; identification of associated terms, conditions, and abbreviations.
Lesson Group 3: Health Information Content, Structure, and ProcessingHealth Care Delivery Systems and Data Collection
Discussion of the major allied health professions and their principle occupational settings; government involvement in health care; the difference between accreditation and licensure; distinguishing between data and information; listing and explaining key data categories; identifying quality issues in data collection; defining data sets used in health care and identifying their applications and purposes.
Advantages of electronic health records (EHRs); government and private sector intervention in EHR development; the history and future of EHRs; career opportunities in EHR management; the flow of clinical data in acute care facilities; the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS); post-discharge processing; paper-based versus electronic records processing.
The purposes of coded data; transaction code sets required under HIPAA; ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS and other coding and classification systems; unethical coding practices; health insurance and major reimbursement methodologies; major components of the UB-04 (CMS-1450) and CMS-1500; the revenue cycle process.
Lesson Group 4: Health Information Management, Analysis, and Legal IssuesHIM Issues, Managing Health Records, and Statistics
HIM issues in ambulatory care, long-term care, behavioral health, rehabilitation, home health, and hospice settings; the master patient index; numbering and filing systems for patient records; storage and retrieval of both paper and electronic records; retention schedules; patient databases; length-of-stay calculations; description, uses, and computation of statistical data; data registries.
Uses of health information by health care facilities and outside organizations; health care regulations, standards, and monitoring; performance improvement and data-gathering tools; privacy, confidentiality, security issues, and regulation; HITECH and HIPAA legislation; HIM department workflow, operations, services, policies, procedures, training, and development.
Why choose Ashworth College's career school for your Electronic Health Records Training Course and EHR Certification Prep?
- Ashworth College's online Electronic Health Records Management career diploma program is one of the most affordable online programs available.
- Your Electronic Medical Records Training helps prepare you to take the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS™) Exam* upon graduation. What's more, your fee for the certification exam is included as part of your program tuition, which means no additional cost to you!
- Ashworth College's online EHR training teaches you about medical terminology, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance, assembly and evaluation of medical records, and how to handle insurance claims.
- Your medical records training includes virtual field trips using Internet resources to reinforce advanced concepts, provide multimedia presentations, and to help develop your skills for research and professional growth.
Electronic Health Records Certification
Ashworth College partners with National Healthcareer Association (NHA) to provide you with a valuable opportunity for professional Electronic Health Records Specialist certification.
Why choose NHA for your EHR certification?
- NHA has certified more than 45,000 allied health professionals in the last 25 years.
- NHA is meeting the demand for credentialed professionals by offering the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) national accredited certifications.
- The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS™) credential from the NHA can give you a competitive advantage in your field, as it is often nationally recognized by many employers and may help open the door for more job opportunities, higher pay, and job security.
- NHA exams are administered at hundreds of locations nationwide to make the electronic health records certification exam experience convenient for you.
- NHA offers innovative certification preparation options that feature online practice drills, detailed test plans, review questions, case studies, and progress-tracking to help you assess your level of readiness for certification.
- NHA offers customized education and recertification solutions to help you maintain your credential throughout your career.
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state. Click here for contact information on state licensing/regulatory boards and certain professional licensing information.
Our Electronic Health Records Training Course
As part of Ashworth College's Electronic Health Records training and EHR Certification Prep, you'll learn valuable information needed to succeed as a professional in the healthcare field. You'll learn about healthcare delivery systems and data collection, electronic health records, acute care records, and information processing, code sets and reimbursement, and health information management.
Employers are looking for electronic health records specialists that can:
- Review patient records for timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and appropriateness of data
- Organize and maintain data for clinical databases and registries
- Track patient outcomes for quality assessment
- Use classification software to assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis
- Electronically record data for collection, storage, analysis, retrieval , and reporting
- Protect patients' health information for confidentiality, authorized access for treatment, and data security
Ashworth College Student Reviews
"For someone who doesn’t want a big student loan or for working or single parents - or whoever you are, Ashworth is the place for you. If you need support, the support is available. It’s flexible, it’s reasonable in terms of pricing – you can’t beat it."
– Ria Louis, Student
"You can achieve your goals here at Ashworth College. It doesn’t set you up to fail. You can go at your own pace every step of the way."
– Carolyn McDale, Student
"I love Ashworth College because I don't have to take student loans to pay my school fees. It is affordable and you can study at your own time."
– Michell Oberly, Student
Your Electronic Health Records Training Course Includes:
- Beautifully illustrated textbook and online learning guides
- Proctored NHA Electronic Health Records Specialist Certification exam*―included interactive test prep resources, plus certificate and wallet ID card if passed ($180 value)
- Instructional and tutorial support from our experienced faculty
- Membership in Ashworth College's online student community
- Interactive student portal that can be accessed anytime and anywhere from your phone, tablet, or computer
- Job resources and personalized career guidance from our dedicated Career Services team
What certifications are available for those interested in Electronic Health Records Management?
The Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS™) credential from the NHA can give you a competitive advantage in your field, as it is often nationally recognized by many employers and may help open the door for more job opportunities, higher pay, and job security.
What features should I look for in the Ashworth College EHR Training compared to other schools' programs?
It's important that the EHR training program you choose covers all of the material necessary to prepare you for an electronic health records specialist certification exam. Look for a course that has lesson content that's focused on electronic health records management essentials, such as medical terminology, healthcare delivery systems and data collection. A well-balanced EHR Training will also include information on electronic health and acute care records and information processing, code sets and reimbursement, HIM issues, managing health records, statistics, and quality, confidentiality, compliance, and HIM department management.
Is this EHR training all online or do I get books?
Students can access the lesson materials online, but also receive printed learning guides. The textbook is shipped to students at the required point in their training program.
*Certification Exam Requirements: Certification exam prerequisites vary. Please check with NHA for their requirements.