Online Carpentry classes curriculum
Measure, cut, drill, join, fasten, and finish. And that's just the beginning. Our online Carpentry classes curriculum covers all the essential tools and procedures used by construction professionals including blueprints and building codes, roof framing, and ventilation. With this knowledge, you can say goodbye to the garage workshop and hello to real-world residential and commercial building projects.
Curriculum LessonsLesson 1: Learning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
An overview of potential career paths and professional development available for students who formally develop skills and knowledge related to building construction. This lesson includes a summary of math and science concepts important to building professionals as well as applications of modern technologies to the construction workplace. The lesson concludes with an overview of general workplace safety practices and applications of personal protection equipment.
Students will learn about standard career paths available to carpenters and the training process required for those career options. The learner is also introduced to standard safety practices. In addition, the lesson also reviews the work-qualities valued by potential employers.
This lesson covers the common building materials that will be encountered on the job site for standard residential construction. Coverage focuses on wood and engineered wood products, concrete, fasteners and adhesives.
A summary of the parts of a standard set of building plans and the knowledge required to interpret plans accurately. Lesson material also describes standard building codes and their common applications as well as the contents and application process for building permits.
/ Lessons Displayed
The Carpentry program provides students with a basic understanding of the materials, tools and processes used by construction professionals to complete residential and light-commercial building projects. Students learn safe-work practices, hand and power tool identification and operation, basic print reading and building code applications. The program provides detailed coverage of framing techniques, interior and exterior finishing practices as well as some specialty construction elements.
After completing the Carpentry program, students will be able to:
- Describe the career opportunities available in the carpentry profession and identify the key work characteristics of carpentry technicians.
- Identify the basic materials and tools used for standard residential construction projects and describe how they are applied as part of the construction process.
- Understand the basic concepts and rules of construction safety and list the types of personal protective equipment used by construction technicians to stay safe on the job site.
- Identify and describe the essential steps in the framing process used for residential construction projects.
- Describe the steps in the process for transmitting building requirements and specifications from construction documents to actual building layout.
- List the materials and procedures used to install exterior building protection systems and interior building finish systems.
Career tools to help you thrive
We understand that the job market is a competitive place. Sometimes employer-demanded skills aren't the only thing that can set you apart from other candidates. As an online Ashworth College student, you'll have exclusive access to our full range of Career Tools. That includes one-on-one sessions with our knowledgeable advisors.