Medical Office Receptionist Curriculum
Ashworth College's Medical Office Receptionist course curriculum was developed by practicing professionals to ensure you learn the skill you need to keep healthcare offices running smoothly, to provide excellent customer service to patients and to maintain the office's medical records and protected health information, following privacy and security regulations.
The Medical Office Receptionist program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required for entry-level positions in healthcare offices. Students begin with an overview of essential workplace skills, including writing, communication, and technology, followed by in-depth coverage of medical terminology. Students then learn about healthcare law and ethics, appointment scheduling, medical records, insurance plans, and billing and coding procedures.
After completing the Medical Office Receptionist program, students will be able to:
- Identify basic concepts of technology, writing, and communication skills used in the workplace
- Identify common pathogens found in the medical setting and the precautionary measures healthcare workers take to minimize the risk of contracting diseases
- Identify HIPAA privacy rules and regulations and patient information commonly maintained by a healthcare facility
- Using standard medical terminology, explain the structures and functions of the human body, including the senses and body systems
- Outline the typical responsibilities of a medical office receptionist, describe the personal and professional ethics required for success in this profession, and explain how medical office receptionists are impacted by HIPAA and other healthcare-related regulations
- Explain the procedures to follow to create and maintain accurate medical documentation, especially with regard to patient records, procedural and diagnostic coding, insurance claim forms, and other healthcare documentation
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical insurance by outlining typical claims processing procedures and explaining the difference between government and commercial health insurance plans
Our Medical Office Receptionist course curriculum was designed to enable you to advance in your career in the medical coding field. Call 1-800-957-5412 or enroll now.