Medical coding online course curriculum
Our medical coding course curriculum gives you extensive practice using professional reference manuals to assign codes according to ICD-10-CM and CPT/HCPCS coding systems. This experience gives you real-world skills increasingly demanded in healthcare settings.
Orientation: Learning at AshworthLesson: Learning at Ashworth
This introduction covers the goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Lesson Group 1: Introduction to Allied HealthLesson: Allied Health Careers
This lesson covers healthcare, the healthcare industry in the United States, and the roles that healthcare workers play in that industry.
- Describe the United States healthcare system and settings
- Compare the professional roles of healthcare workers within various community settings
- Compare the professional roles of healthcare workers within hospital practices
- Distinguish among government (public) and private health insurance plans
- Explain the primary elements of the Affordable Care Act
- Describe the proper legal and ethical behaviors of a healthcare worker
- Identify the characteristics of professional behavior and issues related to cultural differences
- Identify communication methods within the healthcare field and teamwork strategies
Students learn the essential skills needed for abstracting, assigning, and arranging diagnosis and procedure codes using industry-standard coding manuals. Program topics include ICD-10-CM coding; CPT/HCPCS coding, including the assignment of modifiers and evaluation and management (E/M) codes; and ICD-10-PCS procedure coding. Students receive thorough instruction on the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR) and CPT Guidelines as they relate to each subspecialty.
After completing the Advanced Medical Coding certificate program, students will be able to:
- Outline the typical responsibilities of a medical biller/coder, describe the personal and professional ethics required for success in this profession, and describe the career opportunities available to appropriately trained personnel
- Describe the purpose and impact of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and explain how professionals can learn about changes to the laws and regulations that affect them
- Explain the purpose of medical coding and accurately code diagnoses and procedures using industry-standard coding systems published by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Accurately assign ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT, and HCPCS codes for diagnoses, procedures, and medical services as part of the insurance reimbursement process
Keying up for career growth
You'll gain job skills from every lesson in the Advanced Medical Coding Career Certificate course and prep for your job search at the same time. The online tools available through the Ashworth College Central Network are integrated into your studies so you'll be ready to deliver a polished presentation of your qualifications to potential employers as soon as you graduate. You'll also be able to revisit the Ashworth College Central Network whenever you need to after you've earned your certificate. Learn more about it at the Ashworth College Career Services page.