Online Automotive HVAC program curriculum
Our online Automotive HVAC program curriculum presents advanced concepts in automotive and light truck HVAC service and repair. Develop practical, in-demand skills needed to keep vehicle temperatures in check and prep for ASE-Certified Master Automobile Technicians test A7-Heating & Air Conditioning.
Curriculum LessonsSafe Work Practices and Emergency Procedures
Remaining safe from personal injury, not damaging the vehicles you service or the environment around you, and using tools and equipment properly are critical elements of a career in Automotive Repair.
- Identify and describe the safety practices and procedures used in an automotive shop.
- Describe the tools used in an automotive shop and explain how they’re used, including online service information.
In this course, you’ll learn about gasoline and engine operation. You’ll also review engine issues as well as how to remove, disassemble, measure, repair, assemble, and install an internal combustion gasoline-fueled engine.
- Explain gasoline and diesel engine operation, including cooling and lubrication systems and intake and exhaust systems
- Define typical engine-related complaints and engine smoke diagnosis
- Identify the detailed process of removing, disassembling, measuring, repairing, assembling, and installing an internal combustion gasoline-fueled engine
Additional Course Materials:
Textbook: Automotive Technology
In this course, you’ll cover the fundamentals of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), including heating and automatic air-conditioning systems operation. Then, you’ll review the industry procedures used to diagnose and repair HVAC customer concerns. Finally, you’ll discuss the various service procedures used for HVAC systems.
- Describe the fundamentals of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), including heating and automatic air-conditioning systems operation
- Explain the industry procedures used to diagnose, service, and repair HVAC customer concerns
The Automotive HVAC program provides students with maintenance and repair knowledge specific to the heating, cooling and ventilation systems used for automobiles and light trucks. This Automotive HVAC program, comprised of NATEF aligned content, is appropriate for students desiring to expand their career options in the automotive repair industry and to prepare for specific industry certifications such as ASE certification exam A7 – Heating and Air Conditioning.
After completing the Automotive HVAC certificate program, students will be able to:
Identify the hand and power tools, lift equipment, and diagnostic equipment used to evaluate, repair, and maintain automobiles and explain the procedures required for the safe use of each item.
Describe the various engine types, body styles, and drive systems that are used to classify cars and light trucks.
Identify the major components and systems used in vehicle HVAC.
Describe basic HVAC principles.
Identify and describe the safe application of specialty tools used for HVAC system repair.
Outline common repair and maintenance procedures used for HVAC systems in automobiles and light trucks.
Understand the safe use and disposal processes for common vehicle refrigerants.
Heating up a career path
You'll gain job skills from every lesson in the Automotive HVAC Career Certificate course and prep for your job search at the same time. The online tools available through the Ashworth College Central Network are integrated into your studies so you'll be ready to deliver a polished presentation of your qualifications to potential employers as soon as you graduate. You'll also be able to revisit the Ashworth College Central Network whenever you need to after you've earned your certificate. Learn more about it at the Ashworth College Career Services page.