Online Automotive HVAC program curriculum
Our online Automotive HVAC program curriculum presents advanced concepts in automotive and light truck HVAC service and repair. Develop practical, in-demand skills needed to keep vehicle temperatures in check.
Curriculum LessonsSafe Work Practices and Emergency Procedures
Review of common safety practices and materials hazards associated with vehicle repair as well as the techniques and equipment used to protect technicians.
This lesson also covers the identification and applications of a wide range of hand and power tools and tools used during vehicle repair and assembly procedures.
Students will continue their exploration of tools and equipment focusing on power tools, diagnostic equipment, measuring tools and lifting equipment.
The final segment of this lesson group introduces students to the basic terminology and configurations of vehicles, engines, and drivetrains. Students will also learn the basic elements of the vehicle inspection process.
This lesson introduces students to basic HVAC principles that apply to automobiles and light trucks. Coverage of specific systems includes fixed orifice tube air-conditioning systems, and thermal expansion valve air-conditioning system. Students will also learn the identification and application of common air-conditioning components.
Automotive HVAC, Part 2 will instruct students on the fundamentals of air cooling principles and the standard configuration of vehicle cabin-cooling systems, the identification and application of common cooling system components, and the procedures used to evaluate, repair and maintain cooling systems. The lesson concludes by presenting theory and applications of vehicle climate control systems, and the common procedures used to diagnose and repair common breakdowns of vehicle HVAC systems.
The Automotive HVAC program provides students with maintenance and repair knowledge specific to the heating, cooling and ventilation systems used for automobiles and light trucks. This Automotive HVAC program, comprised of NATEF aligned content, is appropriate for students desiring to expand their career options in the automotive repair industry and to prepare for specific industry certifications such as ASE certification exam A7 – Heating and Air Conditioning.
After completing the Automotive HVAC certificate program, students will be able to:
- Identify the hand and power tools, lift equipment, and diagnostic equipment used to evaluate, repair, and maintain automobiles and explain the procedures required for the safe use of each item.
- Describe the various engine types, body styles, and drive systems that are used to classify cars and light trucks.
- Identify the major components and systems used in vehicle HVAC.
- Describe basic HVAC principles.
- Identify and describe the safe application of specialty tools used for HVAC system repair.
- Outline common repair and maintenance procedures used for HVAC systems in automobiles and light trucks.
- Understand the safe use and disposal processes for common vehicle refrigerants.
Pursue your professional goals
Our online Automotive HVAC program curriculum sharpens your skills for a hot career path. You'll stay connected to a valuable career network with unlimited access to our range of Career Tools while you're a student and after graduation.