Online locksmith course curriculum
Our online locksmith course curriculum teaches the skills you will actually use on the job as a locksmith. You will get hands-on practice with materials, tools, and processes, and study their applications for home, auto, and commercial security. Your studies will close with lessons in small business practices and laws that regulate locksmithing businesses.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
An overview of potential career paths and professional development available for students who formally develop their mechanical and technical skills. Includes a summary of math and science concepts important to mechanics as well as applications of modern technologies in the mechanics workplace. The lesson concludes with an overview of general workplace safety practices and applications of personal protection equipment.
Lesson Group 2: Locksmithing: Getting StartedIntroduction to Locksmithing
An overview of the skills and knowledge required to perform the duties of a trained locksmith, including the basic daily tasks required and the identification of basic lock and key styles and a review of the popular manufacturers of modern security hardware.
Students will learn to identify and select key blanks using various techniques including key-blank directories. This lesson covers the steps required for cutting a key manually and will learn to identify the basic parts and operation of common lock styles encountered in residential applications.
This lesson focuses on the parts and operation of common pin tumbler locks and provides students instruction on the process of rekeying pin tumbler locks. Students will also learn about the hand and power tools commonly used by locksmiths.
The Locksmithing program provides students with a basic understanding of the materials, tools and processes used by locksmith professionals to install modern security hardware in homes, businesses and automobiles. Students learn safe-work practices, hand and power tool identification and operation, and to identify various brands and styles of locking systems and keys. The program also provides instruction on the design and installation of security and alarm systems for buildings and vehicles.
This program also provides students the opportunity to validate their locksmithing proficiency by successfully completing the Fundamentals Locksmith exam, offered by the Associated Locksmiths of America.
After completing the Locksmithing program, students will be able to:
- Identify a locksmith's basic job functions and ethical responsibilities and describe the wide range of locks, keys, and security systems that a locksmith may encounter on the job.
- Describe the basic mechanical function of lock and key systems as well as the components and systems that are used to construct functional security devices.
- Identify multiple types of locking and security devices, both manual and electrically powered, for structures and automobiles and describe typical applications for each device or system.
- Describe the process followed to install locksets into doors as well as the process followed to install a complete security system.
- Identify the essential business concepts related to the successful operation and management of a locksmith or security systems business, including legal compliance and financial aspects.
- Interpret and follow basic installation procedures for alarm systems, electrical access and exit controls, systems, automotive locking and alarm systems, and high-security systems.
- Identify the parts of a standard key-duplication machine and describe its basic operation.
The tools to grow your career
In as few as four months, our online locksmith course curriculum gives you hands-on training in a vocation that offers a variety of career opportunities. Plus, while you're enrolled and after graduation, you will have exclusive access to career advice, job search assistance, and a network of employers looking for people with your skill set. Ashworth College offers these exclusive Career Tools to help you discover new opportunities and support your professional goals.