Online Diesel Mechanic course curriculum
Our online Diesel Mechanic course curriculum engages you through interactive lessons faculty who have first-hand mechanic experience, learning the real-world procedures and techniques you need to succeed in this thriving industry.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
An overview of potential career paths and professional development available for students who formally develop their mechanical and technical skills. Includes a summary of math and science concepts important to mechanics as well as applications of modern technologies in the mechanics workplace. The lesson concludes with an overview of general workplace safety practices and applications of personal protection equipment.
Lesson Group 2: Foundation and Safety, Part 1Safe Work Practices and Emergency Procedures
Review of common safety practices and materials hazards associated with vehicle repair as well as the techniques and equipment used to protect technicians.
This lesson also covers the identification and applications of a wide range of hand and power tools and tools used during vehicle repair and assembly procedures.
The Diesel Mechanic program covers the operation, performance standards and inspection procedures of vehicle systems that incorporate diesel engine technologies. Students will learn heavy-vehicle repair procedures for all major vehicle systems, as well as foundations skills in tool usage and safety. This program also introduces students to specialty systems typically associated with heavy truck repair and maintenance such as hydraulics.
After completing the Diesel Mechanic training program, students will be able to:
- Identify the hand and power tools, lift equipment, and diagnostic equipment used to evaluate, repair, and maintain diesel-engine vehicles and explain the procedures required for the safe use of each item.
- Describe the various engine types, body styles, and drive systems that are used to diesel vehicles.
- List the steps that must be followed during a standard vehicle inspection and describe the specifications that determine safe-vehicle conditions during each step.
- Identify and describe the standard parts of the engine, lubrication and cooling system, electrical/electronic system, steering and suspension systems, drive trains, and HVAC systems as well as the hydraulics systems used in heavy vehicles.
- Describe the parts, tools, and processes used to disassemble, rebuild, and reassemble a diesel engine.
Getting your career into high gear
Ashworth College API Program Name Career Diploma program help you develop the confidence you need to reach for your career goals because we integrate job search prep into your studies. With the online tools at the Ashworth EDGE, you’ll get step-by-step guidance as you create polished, professional resumes and letters. After you graduate, you’ll keep your Ashworth EDGE account so you can revisit the tools any time you need to make a good impression on a potential employer. Learn more about it at the Career Services page.