Manual drive train certificate curriculum
Our automotive manual drive train certificate curriculum aligns with industry standards and educational standards. Learn to work on transmissions from a quality program that teaches practical skills and preps you for ASE-Certified Master Automobile Technicians test A3-Manual Drive Train & Axels.
Curriculum LessonsSafe Work Practices and Emergency Procedures
Review of common safety practices and materials hazards associated with vehicle repair as well as the techniques and equipment used to protect technicians.
This lesson also covers the identification and applications of a wide range of hand and power tools and tools used during vehicle repair and assembly procedures.
Students will continue their exploration of tools and equipment focusing on power tools, diagnostic equipment, measuring tools and lifting equipment.
The final segment of this lesson group introduces students to the basic terminology and configurations of vehicles, engines, and drivetrains. Students will also learn the basic elements of the vehicle inspection process.
Students will learn about the purpose and configuration of clutch systems and the components that make up a common clutch assembly. This lesson will also present the principles of operation for manual transmissions, common gearbox layouts, and the operation of clutches with manual transmissions. Students will also learn the procedures required to diagnose, disassemble, and reassemble clutch systems, and front-wheel and rear-wheel manual transmission systems.
In this lesson students expand their understanding of manual transmissions by learning the basic layouts of four-wheel drive, four-wheel drive (part-time), and all-wheel drive systems. Students will also learn the components and operation of final-drive systems and the procedures required to diagnose, disassemble, and reassemble multi-wheel drive systems and final drives.
The Automotive Manual Drive Trains program provides students with maintenance and repair knowledge specific to the manual transmissions and axles used in automobiles and light trucks. This Automotive Manual Drive Trains program, comprised of NATEF aligned content, is appropriate for students desiring to expand their career options in the automotive repair industry and to prepare for specific industry certifications such as that provided upon passing the ASE A3 Manual Drive Trains and Axles Certification Exam.
After completing the Automotive Manual Drive Trains Career Certificate program, students will be able to:
- Identify the hand and power tools, lift equipment, and diagnostic equipment used to evaluate, repair, and maintain automobiles and explain the procedures required for the safe use of each item.
- Describe the various engine types, body styles, and drive systems that are used to classify cars and light trucks.
- Identify the major components and systems used in manual drive trains and axles.
- Describe the basic mechanical principles used in automotive transmissions.
- Identify and describe the safe application of specialty tools used for manual transmission repair.
- Outline common repair and maintenance procedures used for manual transmissions in automobiles and light trucks.
- Identify the component configurations used for two-wheel, four-wheel, and all-wheel drive systems.
Pursue your professional goals
Your drive train certificate curriculum can give you the skills to succeed. Unlimited access to Ashworth College Career Tools gives you a network, one-on-one advice, resume assistance, and more anytime you need help finding a place to apply them.